Golf Saga

Follows my golf game from inception to greatness (at least that is my hope). Includes tips, techniques, stories, rants, successes, etc... A blog for golf lovers.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Fast Learner This One Is

After seeing how much I sliced the ball, I decided that I needed to get help from someone who knows golf. The first person that I went to was my sister's boyfriend. Back in high-school, he was a scratch golfer, but a car accident and multiple concussions have taken him away from consistent play. He accompanied me to the driving range, and gave me some sound advice that every new golfer needs to follow.
  • Keep your knees bent (Don't stand up as you swing through). This was causing me to hit the ball on top, sending the ball fast and low for only a short distance. Keeping my knees bent has helped me strike the ball at the equator, letting the loft of the club launch the ball.
  • Keep your head down. This is probably the most common advice that I've heard, but it is the most universal, and the truest. If you look up to see where the ball is going, you throw your body off balance, and the ball's trajectory will be changed from its original path. Look up after your follow-through. You'll still be able to see where your ball is going.
  • Don't swing so hard! Swinging hard takes power away from you. Let your body guide the club through your swing path; starting with your hips shifting toward the target, your weight shifting from right to left, your left shoulder moving from the ball to the target, which will bring the club down to the ball, and bring the wrists back to neutral position as your club makes contact with the ball. It should be a nice, fluid motion (I'm still working out kinks with this one, and it has taken me months).

Well, these were some of the first lessons that I received, and as far as free advice goes, it helped out a lot. Mostly, though, I've been self taught. What I've gained from session's with my sister's boyfriend, has been confidence. Having someone who can critique you in a non-confrontational way makes you want to improve and succeed.

Up until this point, I had only been to the driving range. I'll tell you how far my confidence got me next time...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home